Monday, May 13, 2013


Hi family!
How is everyone!? I miss you all but guess what?!? I get to talk to you this Sunday! YAY!!! 
That will be exciting!

So this week has been really great. Want to know why? Because its soooo nice and warm outside! We've had some really good lessons with some of our investigators this week. We taught Byron twice and he's continuing to progress and prepare for his baptism at the end of this month! I have so much faith in him. I love hearing his insights from the scriptures because they're so basic and simple but powerful, he's always teaching me things. We also taught Carlin and to our surprise a returning less-active member showed up to the lesson and wouldn't stop talking the entire time! So I don't know how much Carlin got out of the lesson hopefully something. We're really trying to teach Carlin the basics of prayer and faith. Once he can gain a testimony of our Savior and of prayer he'll be just fine. He's a really great person. The next day we had dinner with my favorite people the Maunds and they invited a non-member over and the lesson went really well, I love it when the spirit just takes over and teaches. I'm really trying as a missionary to learn to be more in tune with the spirit and I've learned its going to take a life-time to really learn to be in tune. The Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts God has given us, we need to remember to use that gift every single day. 

So this past Wednesday Sister Sonnenberg (my favorite old lady who makes me sing) asked us to come over and help her with her yard. We got over there and she wanted us to stack wood for her wood pile. She didn't think we were strong enough to carry wood so she had a shovel and was trying to convince us to shovel the wood. I just started picking up huge blocks of wood and started stacking and she was so surprised that me and Sister Sagers could actually lift the wood. It was really funny, she asked us if we grew up on farms. We have a good time with Sister Sonnenberg and I get so much satisfaction with making her smile or laugh. She then wanted to feed us lunch again. Do you remember me telling you about those awful sandwiches we ate? With the mystery meat? Well I found out what the meat was.....peppered liver. Yup. And so again we ate peppered liver sandwiches......thank you mom for feeding me regular peanut butter and jelly sandwiches growing up, I really appreciate it. So after that we headed over to another home to do service. We helped Brother Clark make leather pouches. I sent home a picture of me in a cowboy hat and wearing a leather vest.....that was at BrotherClarks. He loves leather work but is getting really old so we go and help him occasionally. 

Thursday was a pretty normal day of planning and seeing people. We did however have dinner with a man from Ireland. I can't stress enough how funny this man is. He's a convert and loves the gospel and his Irish accent is great. He made us a traditional meal that he would eat in Ireland and yes it did contain potatoes!.....yummm! I really was laughing the entire dinner because of how funny this man is. We then had one of our lessons with Byron that night and we got to hear is testimony of prayer and scripture study and it was wonderful!

So on Saturday we helped the ward with a service project which was helping clean up the side of the highways. I got to wear a nice orange vest and gloves and walk along a highway for 3 hours cleaning up garbage. It was great! And I'm not even being sarcastic when I say that. It really was. We had 2 of our investigators come...Shauna and Carlin. When Carlin showed up he wouldn't get out of his truck, so me and Sister Sagers went to go get him. He was smoking and was trying to hide it. I can be pretty bold with Carlin and get away with it, so I told him I would grab the cigarette and throw it on the ground or he could do it himself. He was pretty shocked when I said that and refused to throw it on the ground but I just told him I really would take it from him. He just smiled and laughed and looked at me and said "Sister Martin you ask a lot from me but ok." He then threw it on the ground and stomped on it. I was pretty happy after that. So we all cleaned up garbage and had a good time and got super sun burnt. I look like a lobster but I'm not complaining because I'm honestly loving the sunshine and warmth.

Sunday was a really good day as well. I always love fast and testimony meeting. Testimonies are powerful and I don't think I really understood how powerful testimonies are until I came out on my mission.

So anyways guess what? They're changing some things here in the mission. Soon there will be Sisters in leadership positions over different zones. They are opening up British Columbia up to Sister missionaries.....which is great! I would love to serve there someday. They're actually opening up a ton of areas to Sister missionaries with how many are coming out. I think the reservations are still closed off to Sisters but thats ok I guess. Also we now have 2.5 walking days......I have to walk! I'm excited, it will get us out talking to more people hopefully. I love seeing all of the changes happening in the mission.
Also I'm feeling completely better. I forgot to tell you that a member told me to stick garlic in my ears at night to get rid of my cold. I don't think it worked.....I just woke up smelling like garlic hahaha. I also apparently talk in my sleep all the time. The other night Sister Sagers told me I was teaching a lesson on faith in my sleep. Hilarious!
Anyways I'm really excited to talk to you next week! I hope everything is going well and that the ward is doing good! I love you all so much! 
Love
Sister M.

Sister Sonnenberg, Sister Sagers and Sarah 

Stacking wood for Sister Sonnerberg's wood pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment